Though people with autism may have behaviors and needs that aren’t quite the same as those in neurotypical individuals, they’re really not all that different from anyone else. In fact, they can be some of the most amazing people ever.
And that’s what this incredibly sweet, short film tries to get at.
“The Special Ones” follows a boy on the spectrum, along with his sister, Emily, and his mother—whom he says are the most important people in the world to him.
In the span of four minutes, the video shows that…
- People with autism really aren’t all that different from everyone else. (As the narrator says, “You have a functioning brain; so do I.”)
- People with autism are often subject to prejudice and misunderstanding…but they want to be free from the judgment of others, just like all of us.
- People with autism feel love for others, just like the rest of us, and have so much to give.
- Love, understanding, and support can make all the difference in the life of someone on the spectrum.
- “Different” is not a bad thing.
The result is a piece that is incredibly humanizing, touching, and destigmatizing. Several commenters on the spectrum really related to this video, and it even brought one individual with autism to tears.
Check it out!Whizzco